I am now officially unemployed. My last day of work was Friday and I’m not sure if it has really sunk in quite yet. You see, I had worked for the same company for almost 10 years, when last October, I was told my position was being moved to Toronto. I was asked to move to Toronto with it, but, I choose to stay in the city that I call home.
After almost a decade of working for the same company, losing my job has been difficult. As much as I dream of being independently wealthy and never having to work again, the truth is, I’m the kind of person that needs to work.
Given that I prefer to be employed, obviously my first priority is to find a new job. Easier said than done! But, I do have great work experience, a fabulous resume and a career counselor for the next three months to help me out.
I’ve never been in this situation before and everyone I talk to has advice on what I should do. I’ve taken it all in, but I think the best thing I can do is keep myself as busy as possible. So far my plan has worked and staying busy has helped me to remain somewhat upbeat. Here’s what I’ve done so far this week:
- Filed for unemployment online
- Completed a daily online search for new jobs
- Applied to a few interesting job postings
- Consolidated all my banking to save money and opened a new no fee bank account
- Continued my daily gym workouts
- Made a healthy dinner every night
- Had new passport pictures taken and filled out all my passport forms (even though I’m clearly not traveling with no money)
- Helped my husband with his resume
- Entered all my volunteer meeting times into a new calendar
- Wrote this blog post!
I’ve done a lot right! My only worry is that eventually I will run out of things to do before I actually find a job. I’m off to the passport office today with one of my bff’s, but if you have any ideas for future ways to occupy my time, let me know!